Is it normal for toenails to be dark?
Toenail discoloration is a common problem. Possible causes of this symptom range from minor toe injuries to severe health conditions. Toenails are usually semi-transparent, but they can sometimes become discolored, turning purple, black, green, or yellow, depending on the cause.
How do you fix dark toenails?
Over-the-counter ointments, creams, and polishes are usually effective. Severe cases may require a prescription antifungal treatment. If a black toenail is caused by an injury, the resulting spot from broken blood vessels will disappear once your nail grows out.
What is the buildup under toenails?
This overgrowth is called subungual hyperkeratosis. People with hyperkeratosis may notice a white, chalky substance under the nail. When this occurs in the toenails, the pressure of shoes pushing down on the nails might cause pain.
What does Terry nails mean?
Terry’s nails is a physical condition in which a person’s fingernails or toenails appear white with a characteristic “ground glass” appearance without any lunula. The condition is thought to be due to a decrease in vascularity and an increase in connective tissue within the nail bed.
How do you get rid of dark toenails naturally?
Vinegar is an antifungal ingredient that can be mixed with water to create a foot soak. It’s acetic acid component helps to whiten discolored toenails and stop the spread of the infection to other toes. Try two parts vinegar to one part warm water and soak feet for 20 minutes daily.
How do you fix thick black toenails?
How are thick toenails treated?
- Clean the affected area with soap and water daily.
- Groom your nails regularly. …
- Apply an over-the-counter fungal treatment after you gently file your nails.
- Apply Vicks VapoRub on your toenail each day.
How do you make my toenails look better?
- Remove any nail polish.
- Trim toenails straight across so that some of the white remains.
- Lightly brush the surface of toenails with a nail buffer or fine grit nail file.
- Apply some lemon juice with a cotton swab on and around the nail to further remove dead skin and give nails a healthy shine.