Should I take my child to a podiatrist?

When should a child see a podiatrist?

A check-up with a podiatrist is recommended if:

  1. You notice uneven shoe wear.
  2. You notice any skin rashes, hard skin, lumps or bumps on your child’s feet.
  3. Your child complains of recurrent pain in the feet and/or legs which also increases with activity.
  4. Your child is constantly tripping or falling.

Should kids see a podiatrist?

Most of the patients who visit a doctor’s office to speak with a foot specialist are adults. This is because foot problems become more common and prominent as people age. However, podiatrists also treat children and encourage parents to recognize the signs that their child should visit a foot doctor.

What does a pediatric podiatrist do?

Pediatric podiatrists are a specialized subset of physicians that care for children’s feet and ankles. The specialization is important because many pediatric foot conditions go undiagnosed or untreated until adulthood, when they become more complex to treat.

Is it worth seeing a podiatrist?

However, McConnachie recommends making an appointment with your podiatrist if: You feel sharp or hot pain from the heel when you stand up after rest. You have difficulty or pain when you put your foot down. Pain – even intermittent pain – that goes on for more than a week.

THIS IS IMPORTANT:  Your question: How bad does it hurt to tear your Achilles tendon?

Does my child need orthotics?

The simple answer is no. Most kids do not need orthotic devices, but there are exceptions. Orthotic devices are inserts for the shoes that usually replace the sock liner and are designed to support the arch. These inserts are sometimes called arch supports, but they can do much more.

What does it mean when a child’s feet hurt?

Growing Pains

The most benign reason that a child may experience foot pain comes down to the simple process of growing up. As we grow, our muscles go through a significant amount of rapid change leading to some cramping and discomfort.

Can a child have growing pains in their feet?

Foot, ankle and leg problems are often considered to be growing pains in children in the bone and muscles of the lower extremity. While in a small number of cases this might be true, in a majority of the cases the pains that plague these children and teenagers may be caused by lower extremity malalignment problems.

When does a child develop arches?

Most children develop an arch in standing by around age six. However, about one in five children never develop an arch. Flat feet often occur in more than one member of a family.

What conditions can Podiatrists treat?

Conditions Podiatrists Treat

  • Fractures and sprains. Podiatrists regularly treat these common injuries when they affect a foot or ankle. …
  • Bunions and hammertoes. These are problems with the bones in your feet. …
  • Diabetes. …
  • Arthritis. …
  • Growing pains. …
  • Heel pain. …
  • Morton’s neuroma.

What is a childs foot doctor called?

What Does A Children’s Podiatrist Do? Whether you are worried about the development of your child’s feet, or they have suffered an injury or a common foot issue such as verrucae, a podiatrist is skilled in the diagnosis and treatment of problems with the feet and lower limbs.

THIS IS IMPORTANT:  How do Podiatrists treat hammer toes?

What is the study of care and treatment of the feet?

Podiatric medicine is a branch of the medical sciences devoted to the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of foot disorders resulting from injury or disease.

How often should I see a podiatrist?

To ensure your feet stay in shape and without issues, visit a podiatrist at least once a year. Additionally, anytime you have unusual symptoms or injuries to the foot or ankle, it’s worth a visit to a podiatrist.

Is it better to see a podiatrist or orthopedist?

As a general guideline, if you have an injury, condition, or symptoms affecting your foot or ankle health, it’s best to see a podiatrist. If you have an injury, condition, or symptoms affecting any other part of your musculoskeletal system, it’s best to see an orthopedic physician.