How long does it take for nerves to heal after neck surgery?
Further recovery will happen over the next four to six weeks, after which you can return to light activities. Full recovery takes around two to three months. You are likely to be put forward for physical rehabilitation therapy as well. Disc replacement or cervical arthroplasty procedure.
What can you not do after cervical spine surgery?
No driving while on narcotics or if you were given a neck brace to wear. No lifting more than 5 pounds (about a gallon of milk) for the first 2 weeks after surgery. No lifting more than 25 pounds for an additional 4 weeks (six weeks total). No sexual activity for the first week after surgery, after that as comfortable.
Is cervical spine surgery a major surgery?
A single-level cervical fusion involves two adjacent vertebrae in the cervical spine being fused together. While it is a relatively safe and routine procedure, it is still major surgery. Patients are correct to ask many questions before committing to it, including how neck mobility might be affected.
How can I permanently relieve cervical pain?
Home treatment options
- Take an OTC pain reliever, such as acetaminophen (Tylenol) or an NSAID, which includes ibuprofen (Advil) and naproxen sodium (Aleve).
- Use a heating pad or a cold pack on your neck to provide pain relief for sore muscles.
- Exercise regularly to help you recover faster.
Do you need physical therapy after neck surgery?
Conventional wisdom holds that starting physical therapy or exercise should wait until about six weeks post-ACDF, when your recovery is well underway. However, the SPINE study suggests it may be more effective to begin a home exercise program (HEP) right away.
What type of pillow is best after neck surgery?
Best overall pillows for neck pain
- Core Products Double Core Select Foam Cervical Support Pillow. …
- Pillowise. …
- Therapeutica Orthopedic Sleeping Pillow, Average. …
- Mediflow Water Pillow. …
- Sachi Organics Buckwheat Cylinder Neck Pillow. …
- Sobakawa Traditional Buckwheat Pillow. …
- OPTP Original McKenzie Cervical Roll.
How should I sleep after neck fusion surgery?
SLEEPING AFTER SURGERY
The best sleeping position to reduce your pain after surgery is either on your back with your knees bent and a pillow under your knees or on your side with your knees bent and a pillow between your legs.
How long will I be off work after neck surgery?
Avoid taking long car trips for 2 to 4 weeks after surgery. Your neck may become tired and painful from sitting too long in one position. You will probably need to take 4 to 6 weeks off from work.
How do you get out of bed after neck surgery?
To get out of bed:
- Roll onto your side.
- Bend your knees until your legs are hanging over the side of the bed.
- Use your arms to lift your upper body up so that you are sitting on the edge of the bed.
- Push off with your arms to stand up.